Dec 7, 2011

Champ and Jazz

***This was a letter that I had written a couple months ago to my teachers about my experiences with Champ and Jazz.  Since this letter Champ has actually began the transition to becoming Jazz's official service dog.****

Hello,
As you know, I have been doing my independent study project on the use of Animal Assisted Therapy(AAT) within OT.  With this project I have even been using my own dogs as "subjects" while I navigate the process of having them certified through the Delta Society as therapy dogs.  They both made their LLU OT debut at the summer OT park outing, and it was very clear that they both needed more work...
My larger dog Champ can be a little skittish sometimes, but has always been drawn to children.  Especially my sister Jazz, who has special needs.  She was actually present the day Champ was brought to my house from the his foster home.  Being adopted from foster care herself, she took it upon herself to make sure he was comfortable and felt loved.  The quarter began and so they were unable to continue their visits together until this weekend.
When I came to visit this weekend, Champ was thrilled to see his Jazz again and would not let her out of his sight.  This morning when her bus came to pick her up he bolted out the door and would not come despite my best efforts at calling him (very unlike him and out of character).  He had jumped on the bus with Jazz and was determined to go with her to school. 
When I finally got him to get off the bus (I hobbled down the driveway with no brace or crutches quite a sight), he sat by the door for an hour whining and scratching (endearing but also very annoying).  I think he somehow knew that she needed him today.
Last Friday, Jazz had a very rough day at school that included breaking a desk and being held down (which we don't agree with).  Fridays tend to be a trigger for her and any time she has blow outs like this, it is on a Friday.  Today, she did not go to the same extreme, but it was still a rough and long day for her filled with screaming, angst, and exhaustion.  She would not go to bed tonight and began sobbing and could not be consoled.  She felt guilty and beside herself with sadness.
We did everything we could think of to help her sooth and calm down.  Despite our best efforts, we had no luck.  Champ kept trying to open the door and then climb on the bed.  We finally gave up and let him do what he was trying to do.  He laid across her legs to give her deep pressure and allowed her to grip and squeeze his skin and fur as she played with the feeling of it.  She was soothed in seconds and fell asleep within minutes.  She was so deeply asleep we were able to turn on a light and take a picture of it.  After he was certain she was asleep enough he got off the bed, but has returned to her room every 5-10 mins. to check on her and make sure she is still asleep.
I have never taught this dog how to do any of this.  I did not give him one cue as to what he needed to do for her.  He just naturally knew what to do when she was heightened and her brain was disregulated.
I just wanted to share this story with you after a long week of work because I found it heartwarming and validating as to why we do what we do, and who we do it for.  Research and evidenced based practice lay the ground work for the ability to introduce new treatment modalities like this one, so we can see the incredible possibility of outcomes like this one.
Happy weekend and thanks so much for all you have taught me and opened my mind up to.

Much Love!

Jazz and Champ that night:


 Jazz and Champ playing at the park:

1 comment:

  1. he is such a good boy! such a unique dog with very unique sensibilities. His caring nature makes no sense when you consider his background as a neglected and abused dog. Maybe there was a little kid in his life during that time that was a bright spot?

    ReplyDelete